Monday, December 31, 2007

Top Local Stories 2007

I Welcome your input and your ideas of top 5 stories. Here are mine:

1. Marines come home. I wanted this year's top story to be a warm fuzzy. There was no prouder moment than standing there and watching those Marines get off the bus. Mom's and Dad's pride, the nervous anticipation of brides, the glee of children seeing dad...some for the first time. It was an honor to be a part of that day.


2. The Ice Storm. A horrible event I still have nightmares about. It was a precious time and in a sense a seminal moment in the development of our radio station but at what price? I will treasure the moments of community that we shared but will try to forget the cold and desperation as the days wore on.

3. The Audit. Susan Montee came to town and for many of us provided the redemption we needed after fighting for so long. Now only the most myopic or those with vested interest could deny something is afoul in the kingdom. This story will have the most long term impact of any in 2007.

4. Heers Tower. It was sold, redevelopment started, stopped, the city "re-acquired" the building, ticked off one of the biggest developers in the state to the point he left Springfield and in the end were left over a barrel dealing from a position of weakness trying to keep the last potential investor interested. Are condominiums the key and answer to redevelopment on the square? I hope I am wrong but I don't think so.

5. Storage Container Ordinance. I chose this not because of the significance of the "story" but rather the significance of people for the first time standing up to and backing down City Hall. Brenda and Charlie Teeslink mobilized an army...a coalition of the willing...manufacturers, retailers, citizens and marched on city hall. I hope this becomes the norm.

1 comment:

What's up with the name? said...

I'm a day late and a dollar short on this, but it would have to be the audit.